Space Opera

This week I read a short story by Arthur C Clarke, called The Star. Personally I did not care for this short story, nor do I care for a lot of the “space” oriented genres either. The “space opera” vibe just is not something I’m interested in. This story seemed overly descriptive in the wrong ways, all of the details in the story felt like they were writing it to make themselves seem smart, if that makes sense. In my opinion it made what I thought were simple concepts, overly complex. I do find that it derives from a lot of the other genres, it seemed to have encapsulated drama aspects from a lot of the novels in the previous weeks. It also in some parts reminded me of The Hobbit, maybe it was the way the story was written, but I found quite a few aspects from other novels within this short story. I was not overly interested in this particular reading, it was only four pages but I was dreading finishing the story. The whole thing seemed to have no meaning to me and felt like one long paragraph.

Comments

Popular Posts