Blood Child

Blood Child, a short story by Octavia Butler, was an interesting take in the sci fi world. At first I wasn't sure what was going on, the story was immediately immersive into a world I was not familiar with. Gradually throughout the text I became more and more interested and engaged in the story, and I was disappointed to reach the end. I wanted more from the story, more explanation and more time in the storyline, but it was very interesting to see the point where the story ended. There was a lot of assumption to the meaning of phrases and it was interesting to learn who these people were, without even being able to determine if they were really human at all.

I found that I had a connection with Qui, though he was very briefly introduced during the entire short story, the importance I thought he has was his impactful story that he shared with Gan, that ultimately terrified him into nearly giving up his position. It seemed that Qui was sharing honestly, but with an intention and slightly out of fear. But I understood where he was coming from, he wanted to offer some sort of protection in a way but didnt know how. He was trapped in a cage, and I think we all are.

If I were to transfer this into any other media, I would keep the short story as it is but add an illustrative element to it. I think that it would be interesting to be able to come up with an image for all of these concepts and ideas within the story. It would almost be as if it was an adult’s “children’s style” book. But by focusing on one key element for each page or creating this short story strictly out of full page illustrations, I think it would be very interesting to see, read, and interpret. Though the illustrations take some of the imagination of the creatures away, I believe the interpretations that others would come up with would still be worth actualizing the story in this way.

Comments

Popular Posts